Sunday, September 26, 2010

sounds gross either way if you ask me.




So, The makers of high fructose corn syrup want to sweeten up its image with a new name... corn sugar. What a crock. I realize that renaming products to gain appeal or lessen negative opinions has worked in the past (like acid rapeseed oil was changed to canola oil for example in 1988) but I think that this is going to make a lot of people go out and begin eating and drinking things they've been rightly scared of in the past. And, I'm worried they're going to share them with the kids. I heard on the news that they have to wait up to 2 years to get this new name approved but that they are not holding back at all on the new ad campaign which I've already seen on TV. So, you can see for yourself at cornsugar.com what this is all about.

Here is what I know. I know that high fructose corn syrup fools your body into thinking it’s hungry and I also know that it messes with insulin resistance which BOTH SCARE ME A LOT.

I know that Snapple, Hunt'z (ketchup), Gatorade and several other companies would not have switched over to SUGAR from HFCS if it wasn't scary stuff. Sugar cost more for them to use after all.

I think it's still something we need to stay away from and keep our kids away from. Also, don't get me wrong. We need to be eating/drinking LESS SUGAR IN GENERAL, not just less HFCS. What do you think?

1 comment:

elizabeth (beth) said...

something I also find interesting...pork will no longer be boasting "THE OTHER WHITE MEAT" they are getting rid of that :)